The Area Recyclers facility receives and processes approximately 3,000 tons of recyclable materials each year. This includes materials collected curbside and at the public drop-offs located throughout Des Moines County. Appliances are also accepted at Area Recyclers for a fee of $10 each- see the bottom of this page for more information.
Public Drop Off Containers
For residents who don't have access to curbside service, public drop-off containers are located at seven additional locations throughout the county in addition to the dropoff located at the Area Recyclers parking lot. These locations include: Danville fire station, intersection of beaverdale road & washington road, Pleasant Grove secondary road shop, Yarmouth secondary road shop, Mediapolis fast break gas station, Kingston Co-op, Sperry, and Flint Hills golf course.
Appliance information- Accepted M-F 8-11:30am and 2nd/4th Saturdays of the month 8:00 - 11:30. Each appliance costs $10.00 (cash or check only) for disposal.
Items that are recyclable locally include:
- Newspapers, magazines, catalogs, office paper, junk mail, phone books
- Corrugated cardboard, flattened and bundled
- Glass jars and bottles, drinking glasses, dishes, ceramics and many other types of glass
- Tin and aluminum cans, aluminum foil, pie pans, food trays
- Plastic bottles and containers #1, 2 & 5
Items that are NOT recyclable locally include:
- Paperboard like a cereal box is NOT recyclable locally
- Pizza boxes are not recyclable because they are contaminated with foodstuff and cooking oil
- Motor oil bottles will not be taken because of petroleum contamination
Area Recyclers is proud to announce that portable “X-Stream” recycling containers are now available to area organizations wishing to promote recycling at their events. The containers are designed to accept aluminum cans and plastic bottles for recycling.
Many organizations use the bins to generate income by collecting deposit containers and then redeeming them for money. The containers are popular in our service area and have been used regularly by the 4H club at the Des Moines County Fair, Old Threshers, Burlington Noon Lion's "Oktoberfest" event, and numerous fun run, walk, and marathon events. The recycling containers are also useful for company picnics, wedding receptions, and family reunions. A refundable $10 deposit per container is required and there is no rental fee for their use. For information on obtaining a bin, please contact Darven Kendell, Education Coordinator for the DMC Regional Waste Commission at 753-8126; toll free at 1-800-216-8126, or via e-mail at email@example.com
We provide bi-weekly curbside recycling collection to residents of our 13 member communities. General guidelines
for curbside recycling are:
- A green bin from the Area Recyclers program must be used.
- Materials must be separated according to categories, using paper or plastic bags placed inside the bins
- Recyclables must be placed at the curbside, even if trash is picked up elsewhere.
- Recyclables must be set out no later than 7:30 a.m. to guarantee pickup.
- If your recycling is not set out according to our guidelines, the recycling crew will leave it behind and put a yellow slip in your bin explaining the reason it was not picked up. Please check your bin for a yellow slip before calling Area Recyclers.
If your recycling was missed and there is no yellow slip in your bin, call us at 319-753-8126 or 1-800-216-8126 and we will do our best to resolve the problem.